Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Trip to Jackson

My dad is from Jackson, Alabama and we have been wanting to go visit my great aunt and uncle who live there for quite a while.  So, we were all able to go Mother's Day weekend for one night, and we had a great time!  We were sad that Anna had to work and was not able to go, though.  My grandmother used to live in Jackson as well as many of my great aunts and uncles.  I have so many special memories of time spent there that I will always cherish.  Drew has been there before, but it was great to also get to see Chase and Hank enjoy it.  We started our first night there at Overstreets Catfish House.  My grandmother was an incredible cook, so we rarely went out to eat when we visited her, however, this is the place where we would always go.  We had catfish and it was delicious! 
After dinner, we headed to the hotel...they now have a Hampton Inn in Jackson, and it was very nice!  Hank immediately passed out on the bed with Gran while Alex and Chase took a bath. 










 Chase and Alex had fun wrestling with Gran and Hunter! ( I thought I got more pictures of the wrestling, but I think I was videoing instead)

                                 
 The next day we went to the cemetery to see my grandparents' graves as well as great grandparents and great aunts and uncles.  Here are Chase and Alex with Gran in front of my Memaw and Paw Paw's graves.....I hate that they did not get to know Alex, Chase, and Hank- I know that they would have both loved each other so much! 



 I hope this doesn't offend anyone reading this blog, but it was hilarious!  Hunter and Dad were talking to some people in the cemetery and Mom, Drew, and I were supposed to be watching Alex, Chase, and Hank.  Well, we hadn't been watching Alex too closely and this is where we found him.  He was as serious as he could be....he just needed to rest a bit!

 
After that we went to visit one of my Dad's cousins and her kids...I hate that I didn't get any pictures there, but I did want to mention it.  Then, we went to Billy's to get a steak sandwich....it has been there for a long time and my Memaw loved their steak sandwiches!  We were actually right down the street from her old house.  They were delicious!

 After the steak sandwiches, we went to visit my Uncle Junior and Aunt Tommie.  Uncle Junior is my Memaw's oldest brother....in fact, he was the oldest of all 9 children and he is one of four who is still living- pretty amazing!  They are such sweet people and I have such wonderful memories of them.  I am so glad that Chase and Hank got to meet them.
Here is Chase and Uncle Junior... (Hank slept through this whole visit)

Here is Alex and Uncle Junior...

Uncle Luke is another one of my Memaw's brothers....he is actually the youngest of all of the siblings.  He and his wife, Aunt Jane, live in Auburn, but he just happened to be in Jackson that weekend too.  We love him so much too!  I was so glad that Chase and Hank also got to meet him!











1 comment:

  1. So glad you and your family got to make a trip to Jackson. It is such a special place that holds so many special memories of our family. You hit up all the right spots for food...the catfish house and Billy's : ) I know Grandmama and Pop enjoyed your visit and seeing the kids. People coming to visit with them means more to them than anything. That is definitely the hardest part of living in Texas....not being able to visit with family. I talked to Grandmama this morning and she wanted to know when we would be coming home, that part is tough. Thanks for sharing the pictures and your visit! Hope y'all are having a good start to residency!

    ReplyDelete